Thursday, June 15, 2006

Fashion Scribbles - Gucci Resort 2007

I'm back again with a review of the Gucci Resort 2007 collection.

There's been a flood of resort collections lately - most of them are somewhat bland and plain - but there are a few which caught my eye. Gucci is one of them.

(All photos from Style.Com)



This is the first outfit that was sent onto the runway. What strikes me about this suit is the way it is cut - it creates very subtle and smooth curves on the body which gives it a very professional feel. The blue floral print, however, evokes a feeling of fun - this is definitely the perfect suit for any lady who's on a cruise for an executive meeting but still wants to hang around at the cruise bar and flirt with the sailors (pun on "cruise" is definitely not intended).



This outfit fits perfectly into the resort theme. The short row of buttons down the front, which resembles those of a polo tee, gives a very sporty feeling. The mini-skirt and tassel-ended belt suggest elegant playfulness (oxymoronic, but yes, that's the only way I can find to express it) and a bit of fun (darn - not another double entendre).



It's a switch to something a little more evening. I love the panels around the edge of the dress (and there's a little lace too if my eyes aren't mistaken) and the floral print is beautiful. The frills around the bust edge are very feminine. The only qualms I have are that firstly, the empty white space around the centre cause the proportions of the dress to feel a little awkward. Secondly, the panelling around the waist are a little too oversized ... it creates a somewhat strange visual illusion. Someone with a large waist definitely shouldn't try this number. Otherwise, I love it...



...although I must point out that when I first saw it I was reminded of this dress above from Roberto Cavalli's Fall/Winter 2005-2006 collection. But now that I've had a closer look ... they're quite different.

Still, both remind me of Chinese porcelain vases and it might be because of this that they both have this beautiful, exotic feeling to them. Love 'em all.



I *heart* this outfit. It's a halter top and a miniskirt (lemme practise my terms a little) worn with a printed scarf around the neck. I love the fact that the belt, the scarf and the border prints around the edge of the top create a very strong suggestion of playfulness, frivolity, and also flirtatiousness (they also match very well and create a feeling of continuity). This outfit is perfect for the lady who enjoys going on cruises, flirting with sailors, and occasionally playing pool. She's also the sort who doesn't mind a little sun.



I know it's not very flattering to say this but when I first saw the prints I immediately thought of Moroccan screens. But I didn't mean this in a bad way at all - the fact that they resemble the patterns used on Moroccan screens means that they create a very exotic look and really suggest that the wearer is enjoying herself on vacation. Lace is supposed to be old-fashioned but here, they aren't dowdy or gaudy at all but in fact suggest girlishness and echo the more solid maroon floral prints on the rest of the outfit. The tassel-ended belt is used again yet it still continues to suggest an elegant playfulness (kind of like, I'm playful but I don't do it in a loud, attention-grabbing way).





I don't know why but these two designs are really pretty! It could be the use of solid blocks of colour or the fact that they both use very casually tied belts which suggest a holiday mood - either way I think they're both perfect for a resort collection! And does anyone find that the dark purplish-pink shades somehow resemble those that are in Gucci's Fall/Winter 06.07 collection? Perhaps part of the palette was carried over, just like how Galliano carried the bloodstain patterns from Dior HC S/S 06 over to his Dior Resort 2007 collection?



Last outfit - let's just say that I wasn't satisfied with this one. The lace around the edge of the dress is a little too long and the green just doesn't look right. The bottom looks somewhat "matronly" (to quote Michael Kors on Project Runway) - luckily the feeling dimishes significantly by the sight of the décolleté top, which adds a very strong sexiness. Strangely enough the lace around the top feels a lot less matronly than those around the dress edge - instead, they heavily suggest a vintage elegance and sophistication (hmm - I just realised that that isn't very far from "matronly"). Alas, this strongly contrasts with the very youthful tassel-ended belt (as we have seen TWICE so far), which comes across as a sort of deus ex machina to salvage this very mature dress and remind us that the image of the whole collection is supposed to be youthful and fun.

Ok, that's all I'm going to review for this resort collection. (I know this is an abrupt way to end, but I don't think I've got anything else to say for this post ... or do I? =])

No comments: